Based on the information in Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron, here are some tips for grinding your grains, beans, peas, and legumes for making porridge.
- Use a blender or coffee grinder. Do not use a food processor.
- Start with small quantities and single grains.
- When you move to mixed grains, mix and store them together so they are ready to go when it’s time to cook.
- Mix 2 parts grain and 1 part legume (bean or pea) together for a complete protein.
- Store them in glass jars in the refrigerator.
- Prepare 1 serving with 1/4 cup powder in 1 cup boiling water. Turn water to lowest setting and whisk in powder, then cover for 10 minutes.
- Double or triple your recipe and refrigerate for 2-3 days for reheating.
- Remember that millet and smaller grains require more water, so only use 3 TBS per 1 cup of water.
- Get creative. Once your baby or toddler is old enough mix up the combination and add in spices.