I think we’ve all recovered from stuffing our faces at Thanksgiving, so now we are back home and trying new ways to incorporate healthy, whole foods into our meals. I’ve always wanted to make my own bread and to stay away from the yucky additives. But, I also want to make sure it’s healthy and good for us by soaking the grains or using sprouted flour. Right now, I buy sprouted whole grain bread and feel good about the quality, but it is in a bag on the shelf at the store and isn’t cheap. I’m not sure I’ve made it to the point of continuously making our own bread, as other things are at the top of my priority list for now, but this recipe proved to be easy and good!
- 1 cup room temperature water
- 1 Tbs yogurt
- 2 Tbs melted coconut oil (or other oil)
- 3 Tbs honey
- sprinkle of ginger
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- Mix all ingredients together, cover, and sit out on counter overnight.
- The next day, sprinkle 2 tsp yeast and 1 tsp salt on top of dough. Knead well. I used the dough blade on my food processor, watching to make sure it didn’t get too sticky. Shape dough into loaf and put into greased bread pan. Proof for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until internal temperature is 200°.