The baked ziti was a regular recipe using ground turkey and whole wheat pasta noodles. The breakfast casserole included sausage, hashbrowns, cheese, and eggs. On both of these, be careful with salt. I definitely wouldn’t add any if you’re planning to serve to your baby or toddler, but also look at the ingredients on any pasta sauces or other ingredients. I always use whole wheat pasta and used cottage cheese in the ziti.
- Lima Beans I love, love, love these beans and can’t believe I haven’t introduced them to my boys yet. Just peal the shell, cut into smaller pieces if desired and let them go for it. I’m sure you could mash these for spoon feeding as well.
- Spinach Bites These are a great way to get a green, mushy vegetable in tiny little fingers. This recipe yields about 48 bites.
- 16 oz frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained well
- 1 cup bread crumbs (if you save old bread, you can make these yourself)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ or flax meal
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 Large eggs (or 5 egg yolks)
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with olive oil and set aside.
- Combine all ingredients and mix well.
- Chill in refrigerator for 30-60 minutes to help mixture set.
- Shape mixture and place on baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, turning over after 15 minutes.
WHAT I LEARNED
The mixture was super messy when I first tried to make the shapes. This is when I decided to chill in the refrigerator which did help. I also think that I did not drain my spinach well enough, so be sure to do that.
Also, be careful with your olive oil as you don’t want them to burn.
My boys ate the spinach bites up right away and loved them. I’m excited that we have so many more in the refrigerator and freezer. They also enjoyed the lima beans.
The spinach bites are great to have on-hand in the freezer and could be good snacks or part of a wholesome lunch or dinner. Adjust the spices to make them your own and everyone’s sure to love them! The leftover casserole and ziti were also hits and wonderful to have ready-made lunches without having to prepare ahead of time.
Please share your thoughts or ideas.